Prince Charles is not going to be investigated by the Charity Commission following his acceptance of £2.5million in cash donations that were ‘stuffed into a suitcase and carrier bags’
What a surprise!
The watchdog claims it has looked at the information and decided against intervening after allegations that Charles was given three million euros by the former Qatari Prime Minister, Sheikh Hamad Bin Jassim Bin Jaber Al Thani.
The Mail Online reports: The heir to the throne, 73, faced criticism after it was claimed he was presented with three donations of nearly £900,000 a time – said to be in 500 euro notes – that was stuffed in carrier bags and a holdall between 2011 and 2015.
While it is legal to both hand over and accept cash in the millions, concern about huge ready-money transactions has arisen in recent years.
They can be used to help launder ill-gotten gains, and potentially give enormous benefits to tax avoiders.
A royal source insisted last month that the future king operates on advice and such incidents have not happened in the past half decade and would not happen again.
A Charity Commission spokeswoman said on Wednesday: ‘We have assessed the information provided by the charity and have determined there is no further regulatory role for the Commission.’
Clarence House said the donations were ‘passed immediately’ to one of the prince’s charities and that ‘appropriate governance’ was carried out.
‘Charitable donations received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim were passed immediately to one of the prince’s charities who carried out the appropriate governance and have assured us that all the correct processes were followed,’ a statement said.
Leave a Reply